Thursday, July 29, 2010

EXTREMITIES AND BETWIXT




Pouring sunlight, humidity and heat incessant
We curse on the squint, streams of sweat run
Wishing for winter, days of cool draughts 
Warm quilt dreams, romance with thoughts


And now, anything, anything but this burning presence
I could wield a pick - axe and proceed to kill the sun !




The heat blasts off the walls indoors
In air, hair, water and clothes
We lie bare bodied in mango groves
In shade, the wind, the quiet shore


It comes back then as a matter of course
Night frozen and that morning cold
Identity chit in pocket for rail patrol
Famished, in fever, the dying soul
Looks curled on shivering platform
The connecting train since long gone


Moonlight stretched, deserted, killing slow ...


I feel and know the heat now
Know and feel the freeze, and how ?
Think yet of pleasant mid-day sun
Afternoon open and summer fun ...




Feel and know, know and feel
The insufferable extremes
Sweet and sour in between
This power overwhelming me


How do I find and tread the path
In the middle, the wise mean ?
Must I bite the apple to spur on
To 'nother knowledge on the brink ?


Till the fruit is known once more
Through shattered balance, restoring chores !


*




I've had enough of the fruit, I say
One day, facts impressed integrate
In me, the self free, in itself
Knows meanings widely spread 
Over space, cultures, time scale
In tip-of-the-iceberg appearance


Of forms, names and relevance
To our desires real, apparent.




Bang ! Now I tread the middle way
With this perspective, seated at apex
Awake to that perceived as hearsay !



No comments:

Post a Comment